Tuesday 5 April 2011

Sound & Editing

Sound is an important element within a film, wether this be diegetic or non diegetic...The editing and dubbing in of music is essential in creating a films 'feel'.

At the beginning of the 2 minute opening sequence the first piece of music we are introduced to is 'Tomba-Symphony 666'. This piece of music is a form of music called Dubstep. Dubstep is a genre of electronic music descended from garage music, characterized by its dark mood, sparse, syncopated rhythms and emphasis on bass. Dubstep is commonly associated with youth culture as most teens see it as an escape and a way to channel and release their frustrations and anxiety.
The second piece of music that is used is a song by Rhianna called Skin. This song is very provocative and induced with sexual connotations. This song is played at the point in which the scene starts to become sexual. Here are some of the lyrics;
"So why you standin' over there witcha clothes on,
Baby strip down for me,
Go on take em off.
Don't worry baby,
Imma meet you half way,
Cause I know you wanna see me."
These lyrics are very fitting for this film.

The second final song which appears in the song is a very unique song. It's by lady sovereign who is commonly known for her crude rapping songs, the alternation in this song from her others makes it quite poignant. The lyrics in this song whilst being very blunt and still slightly crude are actually quite heart felt. This is an ideal portrayal of how teens cope with their feelings.

 "My heart is like a jigsaw puzzle, pick it up and fix it for me. Can you figure it out?
So I'm smoking like a chimney, i feel fucked up got too much drink in me, its a shame you can't be around. I've got you on my mind, i've got shit on my mind, i've got plenty of time t just sit and rewind"
These lyrics are very fitting for this film.

In this clip the  music is still playing from the previous one, this being Lady Sovereign-Jigsaw however over the top of this i have intentionally left the diegetic sounds in this clip. I chose to do this as I felt it would show that reality is not kicking in for what she has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment